Looking for a delicious vegetarian/vegan recipe to try for dinner? Check out this easy recipe for vegan chicken nuggets!!!!
On of these days, about a year or two ago, I was standing in line at church potluck, filling my plate, when I came across a bowl full of these delicious nuggets. When I finally got to taste them, I couldn’t stop eating them! Then, I found out they were made out of jackfruit and I just could not believe my ears.
As a good Brazilian, my many encounters with jackfruit up to that point had been with the very ripe, very sweet form of the fruit. It had never crossed my mind that one could make such an awesome recipe with the green fruit!
As it turns out green jackfruit makes the perfect base for this recipe. It is not only a great source of nutrients, it also has the perfect texture for the veggie nuggets!
As we were getting ready to move away a few days ago, I wanted to make sure that I got this delicious recipe from my great friend Phebe, who was so kind and willing to teach me. She also gave me a couple of extra cans of jackfruit and some mushroom seasoning… She is awesome!
This recipe is perfect as a side dish for supper, or on its own as a snack.
Vegan “Chicken” Nuggets Recipe (45 min/4 servings)
- 1 20 oz can of young green jackfruit in water (you should be able to find it at your local Asian food store)
- 2 Tbs of Mushroom Seasoning (also from the local Asian food store)
- 1 cup of water
- 1/2 cup of all purpose flour
- Panko Japanese-style bread crumbs (I bought mine at Walmart)
- Oil for deep frying
- Open can of jackfruit and cut it into smaller bite size pieces. Be sure to save the water from the can.
- Boil the jackfruit in its water with the mushroom seasoning for about 2-3 minutes. Add more water if necessary to cover the fruit.
- Drain jack fruit and set aside.
- On a separate container, add water slowly to the all purpose flour until it becomes a paste.
- Add flour paste to the jackfruit and mix well.
- Add the bread crumbs and mix until each piece of jackfruit is completely covered.
- deep fry. (Although I am not a big fan of deep fried food, this is definitely an exception=D)
P.S. If this is your first time seeing one of my recipes, you should know, If you haven’t figured out already, I do not consider myself very gifted in the culinary department. These are recipes that my family loves, that are easy to follow, and almost impossible for me to mess up.
If would like to see more easy and delicious recipes like this, check out the links below to my previous favorite recipe posts.
What did you think of this recipe? Do you have any other easy vegan/vegetarian recipes you would like to share? Please let me know on the comment section below.